"It takes ages to finish a quilt you're not working on!"

Thursday, September 01, 2005

I am sad and depressed...

I have already posted my feelings on Patra's Other Place, but decided to make a comment here as well. The situation in the Gulf states of the USA is getting worse by the minute, particularly in New Orleans. I visited that city with my first husband, about 30 years ago, and the memories I have will remain with me forever. Extraordinary, unique, there were not enough words to describe such a place. The people, the music, the food, the history...And now it's gone. If it is ever rebuilt, it will not be the same. The newspeople on Fox News are interviewing everybody and anybody for their opinions, and they are saying it will take months to rebuild. I reckon they are over-optimistic; I think it will take years. One far sighted politician said this was a wake-up call to the USA - that the city should never have been allowed to get so big in that area, and that they should pay more attention to the ecosystem when planning cities. It was built below sea level and relied on levees to hold the water back. Well, we all know what Mother Nature does to the human race when we make drastic changes to Her great plan! Earthquakes, tsunamis, hurricanes/cyclones, tornadoes, floods, and fire.
One of the Fox News team posed a question about help from the rest of the world. He said that everybody sees the USA as rich, a bottomless pit of money to share with other countries when they are devastated by natural disasters. So will anybody outside of the USA offer any help to the Richest country on earth? He said "I don't think so". This was echoed by one of my husband's workmates, who said to Ken "Ah well, they deserve it. They've got enough money to start again, they don't need anyone to help them". Now I know there is a lot of anti-American sentiment out there, for any number of reasons (which I don't necessarily concur with). But if you visited that part of the USA, you would know that it is one of the poorest areas in the country. If you cared enough to look at the news videos, you would see that the vast majority of people affected are the negro population, many of whom live in sub-standard conditions in poor health. Don't give me any crap about their government spending more on NASA than the people - it doesn't matter. What matters is that these people are suffering terribly, through no fault of their own, and I am sad and depressed because I feel utterly and completely helpless, thousands of miles away in the Lucky Country. I wish I could be there to do something.

11 comments:

janet said...

While America is a wealthy country, the sad fact is that it's not distributed equally. And current policies seem to favor big business more and more so that's getting worse. The poverty level figures came out recently and they've risen...again.

Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama are three of our poorest states, so this catastrophe is especially bad. But it's going to affect all of us. Gas prices rose about 50 cents a gallon yesterday alone. There will likely be shortages, too. I'm almost afraid to check the news this morning.

I hope other countries will help us, but given the fact that so many of them have lost respect for us because of our president's actions around the world, I would understand if they didn't.

Gina E. said...

Janet, I just saw on Fox that 10 countries have offered help, including Germany, England, Venezala (sp,) and Saudi Arabia. What you said about the loss of respect because of your President is undoubtedly true, but the way I see it, the person at the top of any country does not always reflect the man on the street of same country. Look at Japan and Germany for instance - there were many people in those places who did not support what their governments did during war time, and I know this is the case in the USA.

Miss Robyn said...

sending big hugs to you Patra x x
I think there is some way we can help...at Hidden haven homestead blog *peggy* has a link..
take care & grieve over this if you need too... it will help to have a cry X X X

Miss Robyn said...

here is the link :
http://hiddenhavenhomestead.blogspot.com/2005/08/blogging-for-katrina-victims.html

Saija said...

i must add that Canada offered help right away, in fact there were search and rescue people ready to go, water purification systems ready to go, etc etc, but as of yesterday they were still waiting to be given the ok by the US ... so that Fox reporter just fueled some more "us against them" type of mentality ... we have big hearts up here in Canada too ... we are praying and giving financially - that much can be done right away ... hopefully those that are able to physically be there, with their expertise were given the green light ...

Peggy said...

Gina, America is not a wealthy country though our president likes to make out we are. He takes from funds (such as social security for example) that are meant for one thing to pay off another or help other countries. The good thing about america is we help each other not matter what race, etc. and we appreciate when other countries help too. We have put out the word of our home in Lexington that is available for a family to live rent free (including utilities) with all items for housekeeping til they can go home. FEMA said to send money instead so I contacted a news station and they are going to find a family that needs this offer. Our government has really turned alot of countries against us as well as turning americans against our own government.

Finding My Way said...

Dear Gina,
First thank you for your thoughts regarding Scotty. I have no clue what's up with my blog. I'm too tired to think about it. I will try to fix it.

It is overwhelming to the see the pictures. My hubby and I sat and talked about what we would take with us if we had to leave our home. I just don't know material wise. Other than my four footed kids would be the first think to be put in the car. ;-)

The government is a mess. I don't pretend to understand. It's so sad that it's this way. I went to Washington several years ago and was just shocked at the amount of homelessness. Right on the capital steps even! It's an imagine that just hasn't gone away.

I have no answers. I feel helpless and a bit guilty because my thoughts are somewhat wrapped up in Scotty. Gas prices are over 3.00 a gallon and predicted to rise. I'm still without a job and really can't afford to send money or anything.

If it offers any bright spot. I got a call from a friend who told me thier sister company is in the heart of the disaster. His company has decided even though they can't work or even been there. They are going to continue to pay them. We also have some friends in Atlanta gathering up water and basics.

So try to cheer up. There is good happening. You help me with your posts. Someday, I hope for both of us to meet in person.
HUGS,
-Patty

Monica said...

Gina, thank you for stopping by my blog. My son was in Iraq for 13 months and just a few moments ago compared today's actions and all the devastation to being there.

I guess as a mom with a son in the thick of it and a citizen hurting for fellow citizens, I didn't care for Cavuto's statement. I remember thinking, "Great, we're all in shell shock at the moment and he's going to attack other countries on the first day after."

America is wealthy in a lot of ways, we have privileges and freedoms a lot of other countries don't have, but we do have a spirit, too, when we're attacked (like 9-11)and when we need to pull together.

I like to think that most of us as citizens of EARTH are like that with each other. :)

Shell said...

Yeah, it's a terrible situation. I haven't been fully aware of how bad it was until yesterday morning when I was listening to the news, and then last night I saw the images - I was stunned by the devestation. Reminds me somewhat of what Cyclone Tracey did here, although on a much larger scale in terms of population. I heard last night too that we are sending contingency experts over to help with the clean up effort and that we have some of the best in the world. I didn't for a minute think that we wouldn't give some kind of support. I'm amazed at the knock on effect this has had in terms of petrol prices - I think it's time we start looking at real alternatives to petrol and petrolium based products or soon the average householder isn't going to be able to afford to keep a car and plastic production isn't going to be so cheap. Anyway, I digress, my heart goes out to all those suffering too - as we've seen from the tsunami these things have repurcussions long after the event. I hope those people can find the strength to help them through.

Gina E. said...

I don't know if anybody goes back to check on their comments, to see if I have responded, but I usually respond anyway, sometimes here, sometimes to your own Blog. I just want to express my appreciation for your remarks to me here, especially the Americans in the middle of it all. It gives me (and others who might be reading my blog) another insight into the situation over there. I am tempted to cut and paste them all, and send them to our Melbourne newspapers, as the reporters here have grossly mis-reported some of the events this past week. Of course, people here whose only source of information about anything that happens overseas is the newspapers, naturally believe what is in front of their eyes each morning, so there are many conversations on the streets that are completely and utterly uninformed. I find it fascinating that some of you have said that America is not as wealthy as people think, and I wonder if that is because the movies and tv shows make it out to be a paradise of comfortable (if not wealthy) people in glitzy homes?

Maggie Ann said...

Such a tragic situation. Whoever would have thought this could happen.