"It takes ages to finish a quilt you're not working on!"

Saturday, July 04, 2015

Aust. bird items of patchwork.

I have recently been elected to the committee of the Avicultural Society of Australia (you can blame my husband for this, lol), and I offered to provide some of the prizes for the monthly meeting raffles, as they don't vary much from month to month, and one of the ladies has even started donating boxes of glasses, whether they are unused gifts from their home, or she has bought them for the purpose, I don't know. I showed some of my patchwork to the ladies at the meeting, and they all loved the idea of having bird-related patchwork items for the raffle. These are what I have completed so far:
A small runner with a Galah in the centre.  The sides look a bit bare, so I am going to add some matching buttons or other bling.

Mug rug with Blue Wren.

Mug rug or small mat with Sulphur Crested Cockatoos.
Pair of placemats using the same two fabrics but with different coloured sashing.  They don't have to be taken as a pair, it depends on what the ladies running the raffle want to do with them.

I had to use what was in my stash for these items, but I hope to find some better bird fabrics at the Craft & Quilt Fair later this month.  I know there are some beautiful Aussie bird fabrics around, but they aren't found in many fabric shops, and I couldn't even find much on line, so I'm hoping the stalls at the Fair will have some new lines in.

Sunday, June 14, 2015

A hilarious tale of a quilter's husband!

Jane over at Loopy's Place provided this link to a blog she discovered.  The blog writer is a lawyer by profession, and a quilter in her other life.  She has published an article on her blog, written by the husband of another quilter.  The husband is a criminal court judge, and admits to finding himself bamboozled by his wife's new obsession!  It is long, but well worth reading, you will all relate to it :-)
The Sewing Lawyer

Monday, June 01, 2015

Elvis mini quilt.

I found this Elvis fabric at a Quilt and craft show a few years ago, and immediately thought of a friend who is crazy about Elvis.  Finally got around to making it up into a small quilt which she can use as a bed runner or over the back of a chair.  She also loves cats so I used a kitty fabric for the backing so if she gets tired of seeing Elvis, she can flip the quilt over and count kitties instead :-)

Saturday, May 30, 2015

Beautiful vintage cloths and aprons.

On Friday I went to a cancer fundraising event at the Eltham Library.  The guest speaker was Wanda McPherson from the Embroiderers Guild, who spoke about the history and culture of tea around the world, and showed some of her collection of vintage embroidered cloths and aprons.  I have posted photos on one of my other blogs here.

Monday, May 25, 2015

Tote bag, Bee fabric.

A member of the Down to Earth forum posted a request last week, asking if anybody had a particular issue of Patchwork & Stitching magazine, as she was after a certain pattern.  I found it in my collection of P & S mags, and emailed her to ask if she wanted the magazine or just a copy of the pattern.  She said a copy would be fine, so once I'd done that I was about to put the mag back on the shelf, but decided to leave it out for a while.  The pattern T. had asked for was a cat silhouette on a totebag, and I had it earmarked to do 'one day'.  Well, no time like the present, so I pulled out one of the many promotional bags that I keep for redecorating, found some fabrics in my stash, and an hour later:  too easy!
Below is a photo of some fabric I bought last week at Darn Cheap Fabrics in Heidelberg.  I only bought half a metre, and have no idea what I will do with it, but I thought it would be useful for embellishing projects.

Friday, May 22, 2015

Got my mojo back!

Here is my second UFO project finished: the Sunbonnet Sue blocks made up into a mini quilt.

A friend was telling me about the pot holder she bought to use, but hates the fabric it is made of. I offered to make her another one, and finished this tonight. She is a Cat lover, so I think she will approve!

On to more practical things, I had three pairs of socks with small holes in the toe, and finally got around to darning them this week. I buy my darning wool from opshops, hence the variety of colours. Not many haberdashery shops sell darning wool these days, and even if they do, the younger staff have no idea what it is :-(

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

UFO challenge has reinvigorated me!

Whilst challenging others reading this blog to show their UFOs, I posted pictures of some of mine.   Nice to see quite a few have taken on the challenge, but a bonus side effect for me is that I have motivated myself to do something!  I got out some of the orphan blocks again last night and spread them on the kitchen floor to see what I could come up with.  The Sunbonnet Sue blocks will be teamed with alternative blocks of different fabrics.  I'm not using the two other blocks in this picture as they are too big, and too much pink.

I moved these blocks around for about 20 minutes and photographed each layout before deciding I liked this one best.  (But that can change, lol)

When I was tidying all these up, I found a single orphan block that was made from a kit that I was given at a craft show.  Here is the block, lying on top of a metre of fabric while I made up my mind whether to use it or something else.

After I'd made the block, I couldn't decided what to do with it, so parked it in the cupboard where it was forgotten until last night.  I had been wanting to make another wall hanging for our kitchen, as the ones I've been using before the renovation didn't really suit the new wall, and I was keen to make one with chook fabric that I have in abundance.   But when I discovered my applique rooster, I thought YES!  So today, this is what I finished up with.  Hubby has yet to notice...wonder what he will say.