"It takes ages to finish a quilt you're not working on!"

Sunday, June 05, 2011

Today's projects.

I'm still playing with Mug Rugs! But the first two turned into placemats, due to my miscalculation of the width of the borders. Ken's great-nieces will still like them though, and at their ages (8 and 5) they are a bit young for mugs of coffee anyway. I started with a piece of fabric which had two Sunbonnet Sue characters printed on it. I cut that in half, embroidered the names in chain stitch, and joined each one to scraps of children's fabric from my stash. If they were to be mug rugs, they wouldn't have to be much larger, but by the time I'd stitched the red polkadot fabric border on, it was too late, so I backed them both with red gingham, and placemats they shall be!
These two are definitely mug rugs. The coloured cats fabric was left over from the Black Cat wall hanging I did a few years ago. I matched it up with pieces from my scrap box, and backed them both with gingham. I've got heaps of gingham in my stash - it is so useful for all kinds of projects. I used to think I'd do Chicken Scratch embroidery or at least cross stitch on some of it, but as life rolls on, I don't think I'll even bother. Too much else to do.

2 comments:

Doreen G said...

Gina you should do chicken scratch it is so relaxing to do and is beautiful when finished.

Jane said...

Placemats will be so much more useful for the girls, they'll love them. The mug rug at the bottom is my favourite one