"It takes ages to finish a quilt you're not working on!"

Monday, June 27, 2011

This weekend's work.

My Japanese friend Aiko has a birthday coming up, and she loves handmade craft, so I decided to make her one of my mug rugs. Do you think she will like it? The border looks a bit wonky in this photo, but once I'd given it a good press it looked better.
It is one thing to do a workshop at a craft fair, and go home all enthused about the new technique you have learnt, but it is quite another thing to actually continue making items using that new skill! A few years ago, I did a class on making hexagons, and afterwards I bought a cute little set of template, mini cutting board and small rotary cutter, just for hexagons. Did I do anything with it when I got home, or in the weeks afterwards? No, of course not! But if you've been following this blog, you may have noticed that I am on a roll of trying new things, and last week I decided it was time to dust off the little kit and make some hexagons. The fabrics are what was given to us in the workshop, so I thought I may as well use them for this practice session. Now I know how easy it is (fiddly but easy), I've earmarked some little projects in my patchwork magazines and books. Stay tuned for further developments, lol!

5 comments:

Cathy said...

I think your teacup mug rug (teamug rug?) is waaaay cute, and I know Aiko will love it! Congrats on your hexagons - I totally could not do them! So now I am anxious to see what you will do with the hexes.... :-) Hugs from hot (finally) Utah, Cathy

Liz in Kansas said...

I know just what you mean about taking classes. I'm always excited about what I've learned, but it is so hard to follow up! Good to hear I'm not alone. LOL! Your hexagons look great and I know you will have some lovely projects to share with us . . . soon?

Doreen G said...

Great hexagons Gina and I love the teacup mug rug.

Lyndel said...

oh I'm loving the colours in the hex.sample.... show us more..♥ soon

Aussie Stitcher said...

The mug rug is gorgeous. Love your hexagons too. I have started doing some hexagon piecing. I bought two jelly rolls and a template to fit. The lady at the quilting shop here in town was very helpful and showed me how to glue the corners to avoid having to baste the hexagons before piecing them.