"It takes ages to finish a quilt you're not working on!"

Monday, June 20, 2011

Suffolk Puffs (otherwise known as Yo Yo's)

I've been seeing Suffolk Puffs everywhere lately - in books and magazines as well as on blogs. I figured there was a message in there somewhere for me, so today I pulled out a Homespun magazine from my shelves, and made a cute picture. But not having made Suffolk puffs before, I had a little practice run. Just as well I did! The first few I did, I didn't turn the edge in for the hem, and they were a bit messy. I experimented with several kinds of fabric, and quickly learnt that a softer cotton is easier to work with than a linen or heavy cotton. I discovered that I do not have a great range of buttons! So I had to make do. But it was a good learning experience. This is the project in Homespun Magazine No.11 (about 10 years old).
And here is what I achieved today. I used a piece of hand dyed fabric for the background - I'd found it in the Guild's remnant bin last year, and knew it would come in handy for something! The other materials are just from my scrap box. I fused the vase and leaves to the background, and attached the yo-yo flowers after embroidering the stems. I'll finish off the borders etc. over the next few days. This is NOT going to be a UFO!
I'm planning my next project from this little book, which I won from Lynn Harris over at The Little Red Hen. She has a couple of designs in it, and had a giveaway on her blog when it was published. I'm sure she thinks I'll never use it. Well, I will. And soon!

6 comments:

Jane said...

You've done well, it looks great. Love the colours. I've got a bag of yo-yo's my mum made. They are left over from a yo-yo clown she made. I keep thinking I ought to do something with them, but haven't come up with the right project yet

Cathy said...

Gina, wow! Your piece is cuter than the pattern picture! I love yo-yo’s and like Miss 376 have a lot of vintage one. I love creating them and you can see some in some of the recent tea-time blocks I did. :-) Do you need some large and/or colorful buttons?? I would love an excuse to send another “Care Package” you way, dear one! Hugs, Cathy

Annie said...

What a cute idea. It turned out great and looks so pretty on that fabric. Never heard the term 'Suffolk Puffs' before. Learn something new on blogs every day!

Eggs In My Pocket said...

I have grown up seeing yo-yos used in every kind of way. They have never lost their appeal in the sewing world it seems. I love what you have done with them! blessings,Kathleen

Anonymous said...

yes..yoyos are very popular..I made a Christmas tree skirt out of holiday prints that took forever..out of them....your creation looks great!

Liz in Kansas said...

I remember seeing that pattern somewhere a long time ago (probably about 11 years?). I've done a few YoYo projects and have a lot of leftovers . . . seems to be pretty common. No one would ever throw out the extras, would they? You have me thinking now. Hmmmm.