"It takes ages to finish a quilt you're not working on!"

Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Iris mini quilt finished.


Yaaaaaay!! I put the last stitch in the binding at 2pm this afternoon, rolled it up, and took it over to the Iris Grange Aged Care to show Ken's Mum. She loved it, and insisted that I show it to the other residents, who all oohed and aahed over it, and wanted to know if they could have it on the wall in there! I said yes, that is what I intend to do - donate it to Iris Grange to thank them for looking after MIL so well in her time there. When Bernie (the Carer in charge of the staff) saw it, she squealed with delight "My quilt! You've finished it!" I laughed and said "well, it's not yours just yet! But do you think the owners of the Home would like to have it here?" She said of course, and I explained that I wanted to enter it into a couple of shows later this year, but I would present it to the Home for Christmas.
I've had two people ask me if I would sell it to them, and just out of curiosity I asked how much they would pay me. Neither of them had any idea how much it would be worth if I was to sell it, so I suggested between $200 and $300, and they didn't even blink - both said that was fine. Ken said I should make a couple more of this quilt - quick way to make money - ha ha. I said even if I could find another tea towel like this one, I wouldn't do the project again. I'm very much a 'one-off' person - too many exciting projects out there to repeat one of them!

8 comments:

Annie said...

It's gorgeous, Gina! And how satisfying to see that much appreciation for your work.

Jane said...

Lovely to know it will be much appreciated in it's new home. What a great finish

Doreen G said...

Well done Gina it is beautiful.

Sharon said...

Looks great G...Well worth every cent - if not more - I would say... Be careful about something you love into a money making venture - it then becomes a chore rather than a pleasure...

We are one step closer to my final chapter - we should be meeting and being interviewed by the new owner within the next two weeks... I guess from there on in its if our faces fit... Meanwhile it drags on - Borders are gone and we have very little stock...Very long days...

Love to you both, speak soon

Sharon said...

should be the word *turning* between *about* and *something*... Early morning fuzzy brain...

Catherine said...

Gina it`s beautiful.

Cathy said...

Beautiful quilt, Gina. I have a real soft spot for irises in my heart and garden. You should see them blooming now! I will be posting pictures. You were smart to capture their beauty for all year!! Big hugs, Cathy

Aussie Stitcher said...

It turned out lovely Gina, it will be loved in its new home.