"It takes ages to finish a quilt you're not working on!"

Sunday, April 13, 2014

More vintage linens, but not for me to keep.

I volunteer at an opshop in Eltham once a week and we get some fabulous donations.  We don't often get linens (apart from manchester such as sheets and towels), but last week someone brought in bags of stuff that appeared to be from a deceased estate (always the most interesting donations!) because there was quite a pile of old cloths and doilies. They weren't badly soiled, but very crumpled, and one of our workers in the sorting room threw them into the bag which goes to the tip.  Fortunately her co-worker caught sight of them and retrieved them for me to look at.  I offered to take them home and bring them back to saleable condition and she was happy for me to do so.

I soaked them in Napisan over night and hung them out in the sun to dry yesterday.  Today I ironed them and they came up as good as new.  I have to take them back to the opshop to be priced and put out to sell, but there are one or two items that I'd like to buy, so I'll ask the manager to reserve them for me.  She is very good about doing that as she knows that we all work hard and is happy to let us have first pick on items that we collect.  Just as well we all have different interests - some girls like books, others collect china and other bric a brac, others love clothes, shoes, bags, but I'm the only one who loves linens!

In the meantime, I have a week to photograph all the linens I've just washed, and will post photos here for you to look at.  It doesn't matter if they don't end up in my own collection; I know some of my followers just like looking at any vintage linens :-)

2 comments:

Linens and Royals said...

I love vintage linens so I will be waiting to see 'the almost went to the tip' linens.
I had some luck at the Salvos last week and bought an apron with embroidered lady on. A rare event and only $4. Sylvia X

Melody said...

Are they going back into the shop? I'll have to pop over to Eltham and take a look.