"It takes ages to finish a quilt you're not working on!"

Monday, June 22, 2009

Crazy Patchwork Class.

Our Guild is running a two-day class on Crazy Patchwork this week. I've never taken any 'real' lessons in this, and I decided two days is better than none at all, so I booked in. There are six students in our group, and today we created our block. Tomorrow the fun begins - we embellish! Our tutor Julie is an excellent teacher - she is very experienced in her field, and loves passing on all the special tips she has learnt over the years. She is also very friendly and patient, which makes the classes fun and relaxing for us all. She had brought a heap of fabrics and trims that we could use in addition to what we'd brought with us, and if she saw an opportunity to add some of her stash to our blocks, she would come over and show us where it could work. She added some lovely bits to mine after this photo was taken. Here is my block when I was still deciding what colours to use where. The colours in the photo aren't true to life; I don't know if it was because of the lighting in the room where we were working. My theme is Peacocks - something I have been saving fabric and bling for to do for ages! Julie watched while I selected fabrics, then made suggestions that I wouldn't have thought of, but realised immediately her judgement is far better than mine! For instance, once I'd cut the peacock for the centre, I wasn't going to use any more of that fabric, but Julie suggested I cut a section of tail feathers print out and use in a corner. Then she cut some more off, and we used that elsewhere. I could see the logic once it was done, but I just don't have the imagination to do it on my own. Come back here in 24 hours to see what the finished product looks like!

4 comments:

Jane said...

I would love someone show me how to do it properly. Enjoy tomorrow

Sharon said...

Looking good G - you will have to show me all the tricks... Enjoy!!!!

Eggs In My Pocket said...

I have always wanted to do crazy patchwork especially since the embroidery stitches are involved. I have a great book, but have never started yet. I can't wait to see how yours comes along. The colors on your block are wonderful! blessings,Kathleen

Sherri said...

Sounds like you're having a great time! Looking forward to more pics.