"It takes ages to finish a quilt you're not working on!"

Saturday, September 03, 2011

Quilt shows galore!

It must be the onset of Spring - there are quilt shows all over the place this weekend and last weekend! Today I visited Quilts In The Barn at Wonga Park, which is about 20 minutes drive from home. Ken had to go to Ringwood, and on the way there we passed the turn-off to Wonga Park. I dropped a hint about the quilt show, and darling man that he is, on the way home he said "I suppose you want to go to that quilt show?" so off we went.
Quilts In The Barn is an annual event, and although I'd heard of it before, this year is the first time I've been. It is only a small exhibition compared to most others around, but a very high standard of quilting, and worth seeing. The quilts were all based on traditional American vintage quilts, which doesn't appeal to me, as I prefer bright colours to browns, but they were still gorgeous. Ken loved them and kept saying how good they would look in our house, because our house was built in the seventies, all brick and mission brown, and we haven't changed anything!
There was one 'shop' at the exhibition, selling those 'vintage look' fabrics, so I wasn't tempted to buy any of those, but I did buy this: Sharon had one of these (not sure if it was the same brand) last time we did some stitching together, and at the time, I thought "I'd rather stitch than glue fabrics" but now I'm working on my 'found at the opshop' wall hanging, and all the embroideries have a black border which has to be hemmed before I sew them to the backing. I was just looking at them this morning thinking 'that's going to take quite a while to hem those', but when I saw this glue stick I immediately decided it was a much better way to go! (Thanks Sharon!)

1 comment:

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

I have yet to go to a quilt show.........something I have always wanted to do. sigh. Hope the glue stick works well! blessings,Kathleen