"It takes ages to finish a quilt you're not working on!"

Monday, July 25, 2011

Opshop finds, and completed quilt top.

It is increasingly rare to find good linens at the big opshops these days, so I was pleased to find these little gems at Savers in Greensborough last week. The first photo is of one corner of a small white cloth, plain except for Edinburgh Castle beautifully stitched in each corner. This is special to me because I have had the matching napkins in my collection for a few years. Never thought I'd find the tablecloth for $5!
The next is a Semco cloth. I have several of these cloths with the woven borders and embroidered centres, and I probably should not have bought this, but it is so neatly stitched, and at only $2.99 it was a bargain!
A very unusual Art Deco style doiley; possibly made to be used as a teacosy, but I've got my doubts about that. It is lovely just as a centrepiece, and a treasure for 99 cents.
***************************** Probably should have started a new post here, but it's late... Today I finished my scrappy quilt top to go to Oz Quilts. After I'd put the blue sashing around it, I decided it needs to be longer, if it is to go on a bed, even a child's bed. So I found some fabric that seems to fit in with the patchwork look, and added a bit to each end.
For the final border, I tried a few different looks, and ended up using black gingham. The original quilt in this style that I'd seen on Freda's Hive used red gingham, and it looked good. With so many fabrics in this, it had to be either plain or near enough to plain.
I am not up to putting it together with batting, backing and binding, so I've donated funds to Jan's account to go towards the cost of that, and she is okay with it. I've had fun doing this, and as usual with all my patchwork ventures, I've learnt a few lessons along the way. AND it has used up a lot of fabrics in my stash that would otherwise have sat in the cupboard for a very long time! There is plenty more where that came from, so when I've caught up with a few other projects I've been playing with, I may make another quilt top for Jan. It is such a good cause...

7 comments:

Jane said...

Oh, what a great find. Patience has certainly paid off for you

Sharon said...

Oh G... How I envy you... I tried to do some stitching the other day and I completely mucked it up - I think the stitches reflected my state of mind - tight and cramped... I packed up of my craft books over the weekend and have donated quite a few to the opshop... There will be another culling at the other end when I unpack them... I have decided I have too much... I will never use them so I am 'passing them on'. However in saying that I love that little Semco cloth - if you want a buyer if you tire of it you know who to call!!!!!Ok off to work... By the way our landline number is remains the same...Best ring my mobile until after Monday if you want me as we will be in transist for the next few days.... Cheers...

Doreen G said...

Love the blue and white cloth Gina and the art deco one is gorgeaous as well.

Meow (aka Connie) said...

Hi Gina, you did a great job with the quilt !! I haven't had time in a few months to do much sewing, been working. But the job I'm doing finishes in a couple of weeks, then I'll have time to play again ... oh, and to catch up with people (including you !!!). Hope we can catch up soon. Take care, deaf friend xxx

Lyndel said...

oh the Semco cloth is beautiful.♥
well done on the quilt too, you are just so talented (and quick too)

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

So true, it is hard to find good linens any more. You certainly have some lovely ones in this group! blessings,Kathleen

Baker_ia said...

Just wandering around in blog land and landed on your blog. The linens you found are beautiful and the prices were even better. I kind of wonder if your Art Deco piece is a chair back doily that was used to portect the chair from hair oils etc back a few years ago. Thanks for sharing the pictures and finds.