"It takes ages to finish a quilt you're not working on!"

Friday, January 06, 2012

Memories quilted wall hanging.

I've been flat out like a lizard drinking on this one. I wanted to finish it for our wedding anniversary (today) as a surprise for Ken, but I was still working on it tonight, and haven't done the backing and hand quilting. But the most part, it is finished, and I was able to show Ken just as our anniversary was drawing to a close. This pic is a bit washed out, as I laid the quilt on the floor to photograph it, and between fluro. light and the flash, it looks a bit insipid. Anyway, I'm pleased with the final result, as I've been wanting to make one ever since I cut the pattern out of a magazine a few years ago.  It took ages to find the fabric printed with the woodgrain, but I finally found some on good old eBay. 
The photos are of Ken and me on the top row, his great aunt Emily, and my Mum and her mother on the second row, and my great-grandmother on the third row.
The beautiful lace around the picture on the top row, and at the foot of the third row, are from one of my generous bloggy friends in the USA.   The rest are damaged doilies that I've cut up, and patchwork fabric scraps.

11 comments:

Annie said...

This is an incredible piece. Ken and you on the top row? Really? Explain!

Can't believe you found that wood grain fabric to go with it. What a treasure!

And Happy Anniversary!

Catherine said...

Wow, it`s beautiful. Happy anniversary!

Liz in Kansas said...

It's lovely, Gina. I'm sure Ken was impressed and it will be something you both enjoy, hopefully for many years. Happy Anniversary!

Joanne said...

Happy anniversary Gina. Another adorable quilt and yes, the lace makes it perfect.

Jane said...

Happy Anniversary. What a great way to celebrate

Lakshmi said...

Happy Anniversary Gina..
my belated wishes for Christmas and you both have a blissful New year ahead..
2011 was not good for me..after my dad's dismissal my brother had brain hemorrhage. After he was ok my daughter met with accident and injured her leg.that was the reason I could not active online.Now daughter is able to walk and and back to college and I am relived now.

love
lakshmi

Aussie Stitcher said...

It turned out lovely Gina, well done.

Meow (aka Connie) said...

How wonderful, Gina (and Happy (Late) Anniversary to you both) ... another great piece of quilting you have completed ... well done. Take care xx

Baker_ia said...

How fun I have one of these on my list to make also. Just need to get it out. I started it and sent it out as a row by row and have not looked at it in ages.

Pear tree cottage! said...

Gina this is SO LOVELY! were have you hung this very special piece? hope you are both well and happy. we send you our love.

Lee-Ann

Cathy said...

What a lovely memory piece, Gina! You have done your family proud on this one. The pictures and the tea theme (and the LACE!) - awesome! Methinks I need to do a family piece soon. Hugs, Cathy