"It takes ages to finish a quilt you're not working on!"

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Cross stitch gift and strip patchwork

I've gone off the rails again...the UFOs are languishing at the bottom of my WIP basket. Hey, I have to have a break occasionally! Anyway, Christmas is coming, and I've got gifts to stitch. This one is supposed to be for a mobile phone cover, but I'm tossing up as to whether I'll do that, or put it in a little frame for the recipient to put on her desk at work.
I sometimes buy mens' ties at opshops to use for patchwork, and have a box of them now. My friend Helen is helping me remove the linings and cut them up. When I saw a pattern on the net (it has also been in magazines), for quilt blocks using strips of left over fabrics, I decided the technique would be a great way of using some of my ties stash. Yesterday I felt like playing, so I cut strips of tie fabric and did this block, which is actually four six inch square blocks sewn together to make one.

8 comments:

fabriquefantastique said...

Mens ties are nearly always made with exquisite fabrics that you probably couldn't afford to buy by the yard (if you could find it)...

Jane said...

Oh, I like the tie block. I want to start a collection to do something for the boys

Doreen G said...

Fabulous tie block Gina and the words on the cross stitch piece are wonderful.

Sharon said...

LOL rules are made to be broken G... Tie block looks great...

Stitching Noni said...

Fabulous idea to use the ties as quilt block.. some of the ties I see around are so beautiful it makes me want to wear them too....
I like the little saying that you're doing - it would be could as a mini wall/desk thingie... :-)

Liz in Kansas said...

The quilt block is beautiful! Some ties are just too pretty for a guy, ya know?

Joanne said...

That tie block is fantastic. (Makes me want to start collecting ties...) Do you use polyester or silk ties? How do you go with fraying?

Gina E. said...

Gosh, I didn't think that little block would create so much interest! I have replied to some people direct, but there have been more comments since then.
Joanne, I buy my ties in opshops, choosing them for the pattern and the colours, regardless of whether they are silk or polyester, so there is a combination of both fabrics in that block.
When I've removed the lining and washed the ties, I cut them into managable pieces and iron stabilizer on to the back. This helps to stop them fraying, and makes it much easier to work with when sewing them together.