"It takes ages to finish a quilt you're not working on!"

Monday, July 08, 2019

Using up my stash!

I have been given so much fabric by generous well meaning friends and acquaintances over the years, I sometimes look at it in despair and close the door of my sewing room.  For a few hours anyway.
Then I get a spurt of making quilt tops from patterns that I have on hand, or seen on the internet.
Here are three tops I have made recently, waiting to be made into lap quilts or throws.
The first one uses Kookaburra themed fabric that I bought at a country patchwork shop a few months ago.  The green fabric was in my stash, and the pattern is from a series of postcards available at the Quilt Shop in Eltham.


This top was the result of a near disaster.  I started making a pattern using the parrots fabric which needed to be cut horizontally.  It wasn't until  I had cut three lengths that I realised I had decapitated half the birds on the cutting line.  No way could it be used, so I ended up fussy cutting all the strips into 8" squares, buying some fabric that matched them well enough to make a simple top of 8" blocks.


I had a heap of fat quarters, some matching, some random, that I wanted to use up, so I threw them all together in another pattern from a postcard, again buying the yellow "gunge' fabric from the Quilt Shop for the sashing and border.

The bird themed tops will be offered to the Avicultural society as quilts for their Christmas raffle, and the last one will probably go to the aged care facility that I was making quilts for last year.  I haven't done any for them yet this year, and with winter upon us now, I should get my mojo going.

No comments: