"It takes ages to finish a quilt you're not working on!"

Monday, October 13, 2014

Christmas stuff.

I started a kitten stitchery for my September "One Xmas Project a Month" but it is taking me ages to finish the stitching.  It isn't difficult - just back stitch, for goodness sake!  But since I've taken on patchwork and quilting, hand embroidery seems to take forever by comparison.  I still enjoy the peaceful slowness of embroidery, but if I'm in a hurry to finish something, it slows down the end result.  So, to catch up with the One A Month blog, I threw a couple of quick patchwork projects together, and one of those served a dual purpose.  I committed myself to a swap on the Down To Earth forum, where we had to make our partner something crafty with a Christmas theme, so I made another Scrappy Patchwork Tree for the exchange.  I made one earlier this year, and used it as a Kris Kringle gift at a Christmas In July party.  The recipient loved it, so I thought it would be worth while to make another one. 

The front is the patchwork squares, and they are embellished with sequins and beads at the corners of each square, although it can't be seen in this photo.  I used a cute fabric for the back so it can be used to display either side.

As I was in the mood to keep going with quick result projects, I made up this placemat based on a project in a Country Threads Christmas special magazine.  There is a matching tea cosy, but I won't be doing that.


I think I made an error of judgement in combining two fabrics for the border.  I had them left over from a previous project and decided to join them up to made the border for this.  It doesn't look as bad in 'real life' and when I put it on the hall table to see how it looked, you would hardly notice the edge.

No comments: