"It takes ages to finish a quilt you're not working on!"

Saturday, October 27, 2012

New Christmas fabrics.

Lyn Moore recently posted a photo on her blog of a lovely mini quilt she had made using some new Christmas design fabrics.   She commented that her older fabrics looked shabby in comparison, and I know what she means.  I've been collecting scraps of Christmas fabrics from opshops and remnant bins for a few years, and they do look 'old' compared to these new light and pretty Moda fabrics.  As chance would have it, I was at the Eastern Palliative Care Quilt show last week, and one of the retailers had the exact same Moda Charm pack for $16.95, so I bought it.
As usual I couldn't wait to try some of it out, so I pulled out a pattern from my stash that I've had for a few years, and away I went.

This pattern uses a darker green fabric selection for the tree, and although I do like the effect, I wanted to play with my new fabrics, so my mini quilt is a lot lighter. All I have to do now is embellish it with some stars and candles; the original pattern has used machine embroidery, but I will have to hand stitch mine, or maybe I'll buy some Xmas buttons and bling instead.



4 comments:

Sharon said...

looks good G... I have been in the wars again and broke another tooth through the week - more time at the dentist... Fun, fun, fun...

Liz in Kansas said...

Very nice. There are some great Christmas charms and trinkets available these days. Won't it be fun to decorate your "tree"!!

Joy V said...

Lovely Gina. Boy you are certainly getting the quilting bug now! Dare I ask how your 'other' stitching is going?

Wendy said...

This is so lovely Gina...and I think I like the lighter fabrics for your project...gives it a modern look and feel to it...