"It takes ages to finish a quilt you're not working on!"

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Op (thrift) shop treasures.

I am shocked by some of the embroidered items I find in opshops. Some things such as long stitch pictures are not such a rarity, as they are generally done from kits that were sold by the thousands. However, I could not leave these behind at Savers in Greensborough today. I'm sorry the photos are not as clear as they could be, but I'm sure you can see the potential. May Gibbs designs are usually found in books and charts, and I believe this one would be from a book as it is beautifully worked on 32ct fabric, and mounted carefully on acid free board - $4. But then it has been jammed into this cheap frame, with no backing and no glass. It was on the bottom shelf under a heap of other frames and I rescued it immediately I saw it! This exquisite piece of hardanger was one of four, similar designs, different colours, all framed the same way. They were $15 each, which is peanuts when you think about the work that went into them, but I just couldn't afford to spend $60 to take them all, so it was with great regret I left the others. At least they had glass in the frame to protect them from dust and dirt, and I hope that they will find a good home with someone else who will appreciate them. If you want to see what else I bought on my opshop spree today, go here.

3 comments:

Jane said...

The hardanger rose is beautiful

Sharon said...

Oh G - I love the Wattle Babies - I used to paint them on windcheaters in my past life in this lifetime...

Linens and Royals said...

Gina, thanks for thinking of me in the op shop. I love rescuing old embroideries from op shops and markets and your finds yesterday are great. So much skill and work goes into these pieces and they are not always appreciated by the donor.