"It takes ages to finish a quilt you're not working on!"

Thursday, November 22, 2007

Final update on my Indian Chief.

You read it right the first time - FINAL update. I have 168 more stitches to go (about three hours work) where the needle and cotton is hanging down in the photos. Apart from replacing the beads with some better ones I found last week, I will have FINISHED THE INDIAN! Here is where he is at tonight (Thursday 22nd November). Next time you see this old man, he will be mounted and framed (I mean that in the nicest way).
An interesting sideline about this project. The title on the kit is simply 'Indian Chief'. I emailed a friend who I met through a Native American website some years ago, and asked her if she could identify which tribe this design might be from. She responded immediately - here is her reply:
Whoever designed this artwork did a poor job of following traditions of just one tribe. The head dress has ermine skins hanging down on the side which was traditional of Blackfoot and Nez Perce. However, then he is wearing a necklace of turquoise which is entirely a Southwest tribe adornment usually. The pattern on the headband is so often used by many tribes that it cannot safely identify which Nation this would be. Hate to tell your friend, but this is simply a "generic" Chief. hugs to you, Wahela Bluejay
When I read this out to Ken, he was a tad disappointed, and wanted to know if there were any embroidery or cross stitch patterns of 'real' Indians. I have no doubt there are, but if he thinks I'm going to spend another 20 year stitching Indians, he's got another 'think' coming!!

7 comments:

Cathy said...

I think it is lovely. Even though it does from just one tribe it is more of a tribute to all of the tribes with the different bits. Can't wait to see your finished photo. What project will be up next?

loulee said...

He may not be technically correct, but he is beautifully stitched. Well done. What you planning to work on next?

Sharon said...

Hmmm... G - if I told you that White Feather suggested to me that he (WF) was the soul of the red man nation perhaps that would appease Ken a little because your Indian would 'fit the bill' - because the design has no traditional boundaries so to speak... I think my Indian cross stitch might be tribal as he was done by a Native American artist - you could always do him!!!!! I agree with both Cathy and loulee1 he is very beautiful and such an accomplishment...

Sharon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sharon said...

Take 2...
Yeah... What is next???? Perhaps we could both nominate a project for 2008 and do it together - perhaps some of your other readers might be interested to join us also - we could start a joint blog and have a group... I think my project will most likely be my Indian.. But... it isn't like I haven't a few to choose from - hehehehe.. P and I are going over to Nancraft in Boronia to see what they have on offer....

msstitch01 said...

He's looking great Gina. Can't wait to see him all finished.

Nia said...

Wonderful! What an achivement to finish a long-standing project!