"It takes ages to finish a quilt you're not working on!"

Monday, December 16, 2013

More little Christmas patchworks.

I'm on a roll here, with my Christmas fabric stash! It's great to see the older stuff disappearing into actual projects, leaving the newer fabrics until....um. Next year? Anyway, I needed some more last minute gifts so I made these over the weekend.
This is loosely based on a table runner that I earmarked in a magazine.  The designer also used her stash to make the strippy centre, but she added more borders to make it bigger.  I was going to do that, but couldn't make up my mind what to use for the next border, and I was running out of time, so I just quilted this as it is and will bind it with dark green to finish it off.
This is the back, for which I used some newer fabric that I have a lot of.



This mat is made from charm squares that I've had for two years. I've been using them on a variety of items, and decided I just wanted to clear them out, so I sewed them all together in a nine patch, cut it down the middle, turned each section around, and re-sewed them together. I've seen this done in magazines, and always wanted to try it. I'm delighted with the result! I used strips of red and green plain fabric for the border, and the binding is cream.
And this is the back.

These could be coasters if the recipient wanted to use them for that purpose, but I've actually made them for candle mats, and will be keeping one for myself for that purpose. How often do you want to put a decorative candle on display, but have to find something to put underneath so it won't mark the surface of the table?

4 comments:

Annie said...

You have really turned into quite the quilter! These are all really nice pieces and it is so cool that you can now whip them up as 'last minute' gifts!

Melody said...

Lovely gifts, Gina

Julia said...

They will make beautiful gifts Gina.
Keep the sewing going, while your on this roll..
Julia ♥

Wendy said...

You have been very busy Gina! I have been making table runners this week as well. I will be posting about them later today.