"It takes ages to finish a quilt you're not working on!"

Monday, April 01, 2013

Using buttons to embellish.

I am always finding interesting and informative books about crafts to borrow from our library.  My only problem is to make as many of the projects in each book before I have to return it!  We can renew our loans twice, giving us a total of nine weeks which you might think is more than enough time.  But if like me you have half a dozen book out at one time, there is only so much you can do!
I renewed this book online tonight, and as I now have only 3 weeks, I thought I'd better make a start on the items I wanted to play with.

The first project I wanted to try (and managed to finish in one day) was this. (The flash made the colours a bit washed out).

 An artist canvas board, painted a pale lavender with acrylic paint and left to dry for an hour or so. (Acrylic paint is great for projects like this as it dries very quickly).  Next I took a pile of 2" fabric squares from my stash and laid them out across the canvas and when I was satisfied with the layout, they were glued to the board.  Finally I went through my button stash and found a button to sew on each piece of fabric.  It was fun to do, although the MOTH will look at it and ask "what are you going to do with it now?"  Of course there will be no reply, as I  will just add it to my pile of finished projects and look at them from time to time, remembering the fun I had creating them!

These are pictures from the book of the other things I plan to do during the next three weeks. ( I'm not missing my sewing machine at all lately, despite my recent post about wanting to do more patchwork after seeing everybody's work on other blogs!  My time will come.)
Little stuffed owl toy with button eyes and feet.
 Hand made cards using fabric and buttons on card.

 My plans for this bag are slightly different. I've sewn some fabric on a supermarket 'green bag' and will add buttons to embelllish it in a similar way to this.


I LOVE this map done in buttons!  My map will be Australia of course, which will be much easier than this seeing we only have seven states (not including ACT) and not fifty like the USA!  This isn't an actual project in the book, by the way - it is a photo of someone's work in a museum over there.  So there are no directions to follow but it shouldn't be hard to do.

3 comments:

Linens and Royals said...

You do set high targets for yourself, a map in buttons would be very special. I don't dare borrow craft books from the library, I have enough UFO's as it is. Sylvia

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

What a wonderful map made of buttons! Yes, the library is always a wonderful source for great crafting books! Cant wait to see what you create!

Jane said...

I like the idea of canvas with buttons. Might try that