"It takes ages to finish a quilt you're not working on!"

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Fabric postcard from Brazil, and necktie scraps.

I had one more postcard due to me from Stitchin Fingers' textile postcard birthday swap, and it arrived yesterday, from Heloisa in Brazil. Isn't it pretty? So many different stitches, and several layers of fabric.
I spent Friday afternoon with my friend Helen. Since her stroke, she isn't able to get around as freely as she once did, so I make a point of visiting her once a week. I've been buying mens' ties from opshops with the intention of deconstructing them to use the fabric to make stuff, and I took a bag around to Helen's for us to play with. It was a lovely sunny day, so we sat out in the sun with cups of tea and biscuits, and set to on my ties. We pulled apart 16 of them, and when I got home, I washed the fabrics in woolwash, and hung them out on the line to dry. When they were still damp, I brought them in and ironed them. This is tricky; most ties are made of silk or polyester, difficult fabrics to work with. I cut the tail off each one, and put the rest away for the future. I'm thinking about joining these up scrappy fashion, and cutting the result into squares. Just for fun.

4 comments:

Jane said...

That will be interesting, you can get some nice patterns on ties. Wonder if I could make the boys cushions for their bedrooms out of tie

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

Cant wait to see what you make with these! blessings,Kathleen

Joy V said...

Heloisa makes beautiful cards. Her stitching is very different also. Love your ties - I have a box of them also - not sure what I will do yet.

woof nanny said...

lots of good ideas on my ties blog!