"It takes ages to finish a quilt you're not working on!"

Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Japanese traditional kimono fabric finally used!

Remember this?

 My generous friend Aiko in Tokyo has just sent me another parcel of materials - completely different from the above.  Traditional day Kimono fabrics in indigo, stripes and browns.  At first glance I thought What????  but after going through my Japanese quilting books, I can see the potential.  Watch this space, but don't hold your breath .

.......
.....
I decided to make a wall hanging based on the Japanese style of  door curtain which is used instead of solid doors to save space.  I cut most of the fabrics into 10" strips of varying thicknesses, and sewed them onto a backing of calico.  Each row has a Tori emblem block - the Tori gate is appliqued on to a background of plain Indigo fabric, and the block was inserted into each row of strips.  I used a grey fabric for the sashing and outside borders, and will use the same for binding.  For the backing I used a golden colour curtain material which I have had in my stash for years, just waiting for the right project!
This is the top before I quilted the top and backing together.

2 comments:

selina said...

beautiful!
thanx for sharing

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

How pretty and colorful! Such a pretty piece!