"It takes ages to finish a quilt you're not working on!"

Sunday, May 01, 2016

Two quilts finished.

Well, not quite, but as good as finished.  The photo below is of the small opshop UFO quilt with the binding clips holding it in place ready to hand sew.  I completed that this afternoon and am very happy with it, even though I decided not to used the HSTs I'd started making.  They were just too damn fiddly and I figured the quilt looks just as nice without them.  It is now residing on the back of the couch in the lounge room and looks much better than the one it replaced, which was very pretty with bright colours, but didn't really suit our decor. 



This is the handkie quilt which I am delighted with now that it has been professionally quilted!  Jenny of Sunrise Quilting did a fantastic job.  The binding was pinned to the quilt when I took this photo yesterday but I have already hand sewn one side of it and hope to finish it in the next day or so.


Today I went to the Embroiderers Guild for the first time in over a year.  I had resigned from my volunteer role at the office, due to external factors, but I still miss going there, seeing the monthly displays, and the friendly chit chat with the other members.  This exhibition held a particular attraction though, and I was determined to get there.  The exhibits were from the Guild's Asian Collection, and included a wall hanging that Ken's Mum had donated to the Guild a few years ago.  I had it at home for a short while but it was so unique I felt it shouldn't be locked away any more in a private house, and Mum agreed with me.  So I collected Ken's sister Lorraine on the way over there, and we had a lovely time looking at the exhibition as well as admiring "our family wall hanging"!There was a notice stating no photographs allowed, but I had my membership badge on, and when I explained to the lovely gallery hostesses that we had donated that hanging, we were allowed to take a photo of it.  Wish I could have photographed all the other items too; they were all absolutely breathtaking. Sunday was the last day unfortunately.



3 comments:

Linda Steele said...

I was sorry to miss the Embroiderer's Guild display, I had heard that it was breathtakingly beautiful.

Jane said...

You have two beautiful quilts there to enjoy, two great finishes

Krystal said...

Both of your quilts are beautiful. You are doing a wonderful job on them. :)