"It takes ages to finish a quilt you're not working on!"

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Hussif.

A couple of years ago, Julia over in Western Australia posted a tutorial on how to make a Hussif. I marked it down for future reference, but didn't do anything until my friend Val asked if I knew how to make a needlecase. I had been thinking about making myself one of those for ages, as my old one is from my school days and is literally disintegrating! Val and I trawled the Internet for patterns, and when she discovered Julia's Hussif, she decided that a folder containing more than just needles would be much more useful. I thought that was a good idea, so she printed two copies of Julia's tutorial, gave one to me, and we started making one each while I was at her home.
Val had some beautiful Japanese fabrics which she generously shared with me, so we cut out enough for two hussifs, and read through the instructions together to see what had to be done next. By then it was time for me to be on my way home, and we didn't get the opportunity to catch up with each other for another two weeks, so I continued making my Hussif. I have so much fabric stashed away, and I didn't want to buy any extra to make the pockets for the Hussif, so I used some red fabric to make them. I stitched names on the pockets in back stitch, using two strands of gold stranded cotton. Here is my Hussif, just about finished. I still have to add something to tie it up (Julia used ribbons, but I thought a toggle would be nice), and I also have to stitch down the two folding lines.

3 comments:

Doreen G said...

What a great idea Gina.

Cynthia L. said...

Wow, that is really lovely. I have always wanted to make one of those, but haven't taken the time. My to do list will not be finished until I am over 100!

Julia said...

Hi Gina...it's beautiful Gina, so lovely in the Japanese fabric.
I love it when it's done to suit the maker, it makes it individually yours...I'm so proud that you and your friend were inspired to make one..
Hugs Julia ♥